Get to Know Your Coverstitch Machine Workshop – March 2023
Availability: In stock
This is the ideal workshop for those who have a coverstitch machine but don’t know how to use it or those wishing to improve their skills and knowledge of the machine.
Those thinking about buying a coverstitch machine are also welcome so you can test one out for the day.
Bring your own machine or use one of ours. You should have some knowledge of using a sewing machine before taking this course.
Places are limited to 6 people for this course to ensure you get the level of attention from the teacher you deserve.
You will be able to purchase a signed copy of my book on the day.
You will learn how to:
- Thread, unthread and rethread your machine
- Adjust the tension dials to create a perfectly balanced stitch
- Use the stitching guidelines on the foot or needle plate
- Finish off the thread ends to stop unraveling
- Fix mistakes or unpick your stitching
- Adjust the stitch length
- Adjust the stitch with by removing or repositioning needles
- Adjust differential feed on your machine and discover the effects of this
- Adjust presser foot pressure
- Create simple seams and hems, including reverse coverstitching, flatlocking, working with bulky seams and working in the round
- For those with a combination coverstitch and overlocking machine you will also learn how to switch your machine from overlocking to coverstitching. (Please note – this workshops will not cover overlocking techniques for combination machines)
We will also discuss suitable needles and threads to use with your machine.
Also included in the course:
- Tuition from Julia Hincks, best selling author of ‘The Overlocker Technique Manual’ and ‘The Coverstitch Technique Manual’
- Tea, coffee and biscuits
- Fabric to practice on
- Coverstitch machines to use (if you don’t have your own)
- A day of learning and fun
What you need to bring:
- Your coverstitch machine, if you have one, if not, use one of mine. Don’t forget to bring the power cable, manual and accessories.
- Selection of threads – please bring one of each of the following colours: red, yellow, green, blue. These do not have to be the cone style threads – you can use most types of general sewing threads on your coverstitch machine. (There’ll be plenty of spares if you turn up empty handed)
- Stapler (to attach your stitching samples to your instruction booklet)
- Scraps of different fabric types you want to practice with – you will be provided with fabric scraps if you are unable to bring any.
- Fabric scissors
- Quick unpick tool
Seagulls Room, Knoll Business Centre, Old Shoreham Road, Hove, Sussex BN3 7GS.
There is free parking on site or the nearest train station is Portslade station.