Get to Know Your Overlocker Workshop - Jan 2023
Availability: Places available
This is the ideal workshop for those who have an overlocker but don’t know how to use it (or are too scared to get it out of the box!!). Those thinking about buying an overlocker are also welcome so you can try one out for the day.
Bring your own machine or use one of ours. You should have some knowledge of using a sewing machine before taking this course.
This course is a beginner’s overlocking course – we will not be able to cover more advanced overlocking techniques such as the cover stitch or chain stitch settings on your machine (if it has these).
Places are limited to 5 people for this course to ensure you get the level of attention from the teacher you deserve.
You will be able to purchase a signed copy of my book on the day.
You will learn how to:
- Thread, unthread and rethread your machine
- Adjust the tension dials to create a perfectly balanced stitch
- Overlock corners and curves
- Use the stitching guidelines on the foot or needle plate
- Finish off the thread ends to stop unraveling
- Fix mistakes or unpick your stitching
- Adjust the stitch length and width
- Adjust the cutting width
- Adjust differential feed on your machine and discover the effects of this
- Adjust foot pressure
- Create simple hemming techniques, exclusive to overlocking
- Use your newly learned skills to create a snood
Also included in the course:
- Tuition from Julia Hincks, best selling author of ‘The Overlocker Technique Manual’
- Tea, coffee and biscuits
- Fabric to practice on
- Overlockers to use (if you don’t have your own)
- A day of learning and fun
What you need to bring:
- Your overlocker, if you have one, if not, use one of ours. Don’t forget to bring the power cable, overlocker manual and accessories (tweezers are essential)
- Selection of threads – please bring one of each of the following colours: red, yellow, green, blue plus additional spools to create your snood at the end of the day. These do not have to be the cone style threads – you can use most types of general sewing threads on your overlocker. (There’ll be plenty of spares if you turn up empty handed)
- Stapler (to attach your overlocking samples to your instruction booklet)
- 70cm of lightweight jersey to make your snood. Bring 4 spools of thread to match your fabric.
- Scraps of different fabric types you want to practice with – we will provide fabric scraps if you are unable to bring any.
- Sewing kit (Fabric scissors, pins, tailor’s chalk or other marker, ruler, tape measure, unpicker)
- Rotary cutter and mat for cutting snood fabric if this is your preferred cutting out method. (Bring fabric scissors otherwise!)
Seagulls Room, Knoll Business Centre, Old Shoreham Road, Hove, East Sussex BN3 7GS.
There is free parking on site or the nearest train station is Portslade station.